Saturday, December 18, 2010

In Silence (by Lipika Datta)





















Prakash witnessed the knights in the battle scrambling to and fro. Darkness melted into air with the light of thousand torches. A crowd of people herded under the black sky. Birds in the tree started to shrill. The rage of the crowd mounted high and they justified their revenge piercing the boar with a lance. The mother was drooping with grief losing all spirit before the bloody girl. The girl was still, without life.
The retaliators, the tribes of the colony, started to singe the carcass of the boar on fire. Uproar of wild pleasure weaved over the crest, blaze of fire and dissolved into the shrill of wretched mother. The tribes were dancing around the fire accompanied with their drum, tom-tom. The hell stood still in the colony.
It might have been the end of the story but the author and the authoress stretch the story towards a devastating finish where the sum got ready to smash the darkness of the previous night. Just then a pack of boars rushed into the colony asking for revenge. They sprang up the young tribes dancing around the carcass of the boar. They tore them into pieces. They took ten minutes to complete their operation of retaliation.

Episode-2
Prakash was waiting to hear pritha through his mobile set. Pritha lingered and finally answered, “Hello! What’s up? Office bunk?”
“Yah”
“Why?”
“I’m upset today. I need you and one bottle of beer.”
“I think you’re slap-happy today.”
Prakash knew Pritha had just been angry noticing the use of ‘slap’  in her conversation.
“Slap-happy? You have used the first one very coherently. Would you like to give that slap on my cheek?”
“You know why?”
“I know very well you, a sort of feminist, Can’t digest that. But you know Pritha, both of the words cohere from the old age. Love and beer goes together.”
“I’m cutting the line. I have many works in hand.”
“Please, please. Don’t hang up on me. I’m sorry. I’m just kidding. You look tremendous when in anger. Wait, I visualize you clearly.”
“Why you rang me?”
“Truly, I’m very upset today, Please come tonight.”
“Then, I’ll the late. I can reach you after nine. Then?”
“Let your mother know, you have to spend night at your office.”
“Bhuter mukhe ram naam. Would you allow me to spend night with you? What about your virginity?”
“Leave it on me. Today I cannot live without you, my darling.”
“For so many days, I insisted to be with you but you refused. Your reason was, I should not lie to my mom. Today? I have to lie.”
“It is urgent. All normal constitutional procedures are suspended.”
“Opportunist.”
“Say what you want, but positively come at night after office. I’ll prepare the dinner. Would I have to buy a night-dress for you? Or manage with my Bermuda and Tee-shirt?”
“I’ll manage.” She cut the line instantly.


To be continued…

1 comment: